Below are my final London reflections that went unpublished for nearly four months. I found them while organizing some files on my computer. With this past summer to reflect, I can undoubtedly say that my semester in London was an experience that will stay with me forever. Anyways, here were my thoughts.
Hello everyone. It's
been a while since my last entry on London, so this entry will hopefully give
you an idea of what I did in my last four weeks, and also what my thoughts on
the entire program were. Overall, I must say that this program was a blessing.
In a span of three and a half months, I made some amazing friendships, explored
a lot of what London (and Europe) has to offer, and even learned a lot about
myself.
First, the
friendships. I came here with 24 other students from UNC, and I am glad they
are all coming back to Carolina with me. In London, it was as if we lived in a
little world of our own. Communication was great amongst us, and whenever
someone planned an excursion or an activity, everyone was invited. Sometimes
the best moments were when we just hung out in our flats, relaxing, but taking
in the moment with some good friends. These moments were special to me,
especially given the nonstop nature of London. And the best part of it is that
when we return to Carolina, we will all have this shared London experience to
bring us closer together (and maybe reminisce about).
Second, what London
(and Europe) had to offer. I've never been busier in a span of a few months.
Yes, I had my internship and also my classes, but on top of that I explored
London and even Europe. Within London, I found the arts scene fascinating. I
went to my first musical -- Book of Mormon -- and could not stop smiling for
hours. The music was so good, as was the acting, and the jokes were hilarious.
After that, I went to four other musicals, all quite good. I also went to two
plays -- one on my third day in London (which I don't really remember due to
jetlag) and also 39 Steps a few weeks into the program. And, with Dinesh I went
to the Lumineers concert, which has inspired me to listen to their music and
similar artists. And I can't forget all the museums I visited. I was lucky to
be in an art history class, because this
slotted off a few hours a week to visit a different museum. Through this
experience, I have truly gained an appreciation for art, and I foresee many
museum visits in my future.
Let me add on what
Britain and the rest of Europe had to offer. With our program, we made four
trips to different places in Britain -- Greenwich, Oxford, Bath, and Cornwall.
Each trip allowed me to appreciate a different part of Britain. In Greenwich, I
took in all the history behind the Prime Meriden that is located there. And in
Oxford, I enjoyed seeing the old university and how it has inspired many
American universities. Bath allowed me to realize that although there is a
strong British culture, the Roman Empire was once here. And Cornwall was
plainly beautiful, and was an excellent capstone trip to share memories with
everyone. I was also blessed to have a week to travel outside of Britain.
Returning to my once home of Paris was great, and I especially enjoyed spending
my birthday there. Florence and Rome were two places I had never visited, and I
was excited to explore them and see their beauty. Even now, as I write this, I
am spending two weeks after the program in my birth country of Holland, which
is another special trip. I am so glad I am old enough to remember these trips
for a lifetime.
Third, learning
about myself. I think London has really allowed me to mature. Although I was
not completely alone, I had to live a much more independent life in London than
in Chapel Hill. In the flats, I cooked my own food and purchased anything else
I needed, and around London I was in charge of my transportation and
activities. When I left for Spring Break, I had to navigate French and Italian
transportation networks, and a few times had to overcome language barriers.
Especially as I will be living off-campus next year, and in two years probably
in my own apartment, I think these few months were an important stepping stone
in learning how to live on my own.
I also learned
something about what is important in life and what isn't. In my job I spent
nearly all my time filing, and from that I learned (warning: cliché) that it is
crucial to do something you love. The are millions of jobs in the U.S., and
even more throughout the world -- there is no reason I can't get paid to do
something I love. I also learned that sometimes you need to overlook the
troubles in your life and try to be happy. A few times in these three months
there were events or people who upset me. It's easy to focus on those negatives
and ask "why me?" But it's important to realize there are so many
things in life to make you happy, including friends who are right by your side
to make you smile. So work hard in classes and your job, but remember to
cherish every moment you spend with friends.
Sorry this took four months to publish, but I did want to get it out there.
- Jor
No comments:
Post a Comment